Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Something just for me

      A couple of years ago, when the boys were still babies and I was finding my footing as a new stay at home mama with three little ones under three, I really began to feel like I needed to make sure I was taking care of myself.  I would go through the whole day only eating junk and was lucky if I could get in the shower before my husband got home.  One day I made myself a nice fancy lunch of sautéed shrimp and quinoa with some veggies on the side and everything changed.  I realized I could do things for myself and it was okay to feel like human.  It was also okay for me to admit that sometimes I just need to be alone.  In those early days I felt this false responsibility of having to be with my children constantly; when the truth was it was better for me and them if I had a break.
     Today, one of the things I do to have some alone time and recharge is go to the gym at least four days a week (wish I would have started this one sooner haha).  I love the time of being alone with music playing through my headphones while I silently talk to God and He responds to me.  I love feeling better about myself and having more energy and I love the example that I am setting for my children but for my daughter in particular.  Brooklynne loves people and has the biggest heart but her sweet personality is like mine and sometimes we just need quiet where our thoughts can roam freely without distraction.  I spent a chunk of my life feeling ashamed of this quality in myself.  I would feel guilty if I didn't go to every playdate or invite someone from church over to dinner.  There is a balance to it; and I find when I have time to be alone then I am so much more open to the times to develop relationships with others.
       I am always curious to know what others do for themselves or if they prefer the larger groups to recharge.  Let me know what you think!
Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Photobucket